Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Sunday, February 28, 2016

Goats, goat, goats, and other stuff

If you are over on 'the facebook' then you know the reason I've been a little quiet lately is that I bungled up my hip again. Remember when this happened? Yeah.. I had to go back and get urgently cared for again. But they fixed me right up and I'm on the mend. Just watching a lot of TV with the cats.

 Baby goats are very adorable!

So here are some links to keep you entertained. Are you considering getting your goat this spring? Now is a great time to get set up. Folks LOVE goats. I do not. But they are the perfect addition to any barnyard, provided you have patience and good fencing.

Around this time of year folks get really interested in a couple of things:

1. How to bottle feed baby goats (complete with an adorable video)  and...

2. How to fix a broke down goat - an easy peasy way to treat goat polio. 

But there are some other topics folks ask me about including....

How (not) to milk a goat. - Be the Boss Goat.

Goat Milking 201 - once you've gotten up your courage here is how to take it to the next level.

Goat Pimpin' - My hatred for having a buck goat on the farm but why it's sometimes necessary.

How to butcher a goat. For when that buck goat just pushed his luck just a little too far.

If you are investigating getting goats you might wonder what surprises you might be in for or what everyone is NOT telling you. I'm here to blow the lid off What You Need to Know:

What goats are really like?

Not everyone loves goats. Here are five things I do not like about goats.

Just one example of goat foolishness I do not have time for - Goat on a Rope.

So what happens when you go out and and realize that you have too many goats?  One of the hardest thing about farming is that not every body makes it and not every body gets to stay. If you get goats the easiest thing is to let your goat herd get out of control. You must run your farm like a business for your own finance sake....and the sake of your livestock.

Right now we still have Nibbles and Debbie. Mostly to keep them around for grazing and also because they are the two we like. But now that another season is rolling around we may just be at the point where we may be entirely goat-less. But we are still mulling that one over.

Happy Sunday everyone! Are you thinking about getting goats? Any questions I can answer? You know I'll always tell you The Truth About Farming.




5 comments:

PJ said...

Sorry to hear you have been laid low by a wonky hip. I myself have a bum knee that wants to give me trouble now and again. Hope you can be fixed up and feeling better very soon.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

THANKS! it's just so frustrating, PJ. i'm sure you understand. but i'm on the upswing
:-)

Vera said...

Hope your hip heals soon..... it must be frustrating not to be able to do all the things you want to do. Good post about keeping goats, though. I didn't realise that you still had a couple of goats.

Onevikinggirl said...

I am not surprised to hear that you are a hip lady/hippy lady/hipster lady (pick any or all) but it is unfortunate if it stopped you in your tracks. Get well soon and pet Nicholas from me.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks, Vera - and yep we kept the two.. but i think we will soon be entirely goatless.

Hey OVG - Nicholas sends a ton of kisses and reports that he is taking very good care of me. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...