Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Egg custard with strawberries

This is how we do a snack around here, y'all.... And just about everything came from my yard!

Fresh eggs and goat milk make a stunning custard. Topped with fresh from the garden berries. Delish!

This egg custard is from my grandmother's recipe but its roughly Cheeseslave's recipe found here  - just don't add the chocolate. It can also be found in that great new-to-me-but old timey cookbook. I think I used about 5 eggs for this - it was a great way to use up the smaller eggs I got from my hens.


I made a bit more custard when I made another Grandma Cracker Pie yesterday. Added the fresh berries I picked and walloped it with a little fresh whipped cream.

That's how we get it done around here.

A lot is happening - don't even have even a second to talk about it. But hopefully later today I'll get a break. In the meantime its all work, all day....and I need snacks like this to keep me going.

Enjoy your cereal bars, corporate monkey and desk jockeys! I'm getting my snack on - old school style. And practically free.

Happy Tuesday everyone! What's keeping you fueled today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love egg custard. When I pick up milk and/or eggs on the bargain counter, that's my favorite quick, easy way to use them. Your recipe uses twice as many eggs as the Joy of Cooking does - I'm going to have to try it!

I've just started my garden, so I'm going to have to wait a while to eat my own stuff. But once the tomatoes start - 12 plants - it's going to be tomato city around here.

freemotion said...

YUMMY!!!! Drooling on my keyboard....AGAIN. Reading your blog is tough on electronics, girl!

David said...

Huh, I've never had egg custard before. Must Try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...