Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Kebabbin'

Meat grilled on a stick is my new favorite thing - I can't get enough of kebabs. Plus, talk about the easiest dinner to make.... sheesh. It doesn't get any simpler than this.

Meat grilled on a stick. Largely responsible for the development of our civilization. Probably.

Marinating meat in yogurt is an old standby. But we kick it up a notch and use a lemon ginger yogurt. Add a little garlic, salt, and pepper - easy peasy. How long to marinate? Well, what kind of time do you have? We found that all day is too long so a couple hours is fine. Only have 30 minutes or so? Sure why not? Just mix everything together and let rest if the fridge.

Spice it up, add yogurt, and let marinate in the fridge.

When your grill is hot  just skewer the meat and away you go. I'm always amazed that the yogurt doesn't make a huge mess on the grill but it doesn't so no need to try and wipe it off the meat. Grill for a couple minutes on each side. Just be careful you don't burn your hands on the hot skewers (use tongs or an oven mitt).

For the life of me I can't remember where I got my stainless steel, mini kebab skewers... but I found similar ones like here, NEW, 8-Inch Long Stainless Steel Skewers, Barbecue Skewers, BBQ Skewers, Shish Kebab Kabob Skewers, Ring-Tip Handle, 1-Dozen. I think these mini-skewers are perfect - they don't hang over the plate, they are easy to handle, and are nice sized servings.

I never add veggies to the meat kebabs - they never cook at the same rate and it always just seemed weird to me. But then I saw Steven Raichlen make meat-only kebabs which worked out much better. Does everyone have his book? We just love it - The Barbecue! Bible - everything you need to be a grill master. 

That's what is for dinner around here - easiest thing to make for these long days of canning. Whatcha got on the grill?

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Editor's note: yes yes the links go to my Amazon store.... but how else am I gonna tell you about these great finds? And yes if you order by clicking on these links - or anything else thru my Amazon store or from the Amazon search box on the right side of this page - I get a small percentage of the sale. It doesn't cost you one more cent and it helps support this blog. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...