An unrelated pic of my Zander. Look at those loving eyes!
From then on I really never thought about my own wishlist - once you buy yourself a farm that Chia pet from the office gift exchange just seems silly. If pressed I usually say that what I really want for Christmas is a pallet of 2 x 4's, 15 tons of gravel, and a backhoe rental for two days. But no one ever gets you that.
Recently we had to come up with a gift idea for ourselves. I really didn't have a clue what to say. Our life here works because we don't spend a lot of time caught up in consumerism. We just never think about it. We don't even buy each other gifts. So I really had to think hard about what gift I would want. In the end I came up with a completely lame, entirely sensible wishlist. Here it is.
1. A crock pot. A big one. Not even a fancy programmable one or the shiny stainless one. Just a regular old crockpot. I think my current pokey pot is about 20 years old and at some point I'm going to burn down the house with it. I use it all time. Constantly. When I'm parting up chickens it's so easy to just put a trimmed carcass in the slow cooker at nite and have rich and delicious broth the next day.
2. A toaster oven - a fancy one. This one is even a convection oven. I'm not even going to tell you how long I've had my current toaster oven. But I truly am going to burn the house down if I use it one more time. We've had plenty of toast fires in the old one and it's time to put it out to pasture.
3. Another one of these. If you were on 'the facebook' the other day then you know that my mouse died and I couldn't click on anything. No amount of banging on it seemed to do any good. I was going to town anyway so I got one at the store but I probably need a backup. And before you say it - there was already a lively discussion about why I wasn't using the mousepad on my laptop. The reason is due to my bad hand to eye coordination and that I always rest my hand on it and end up unintentionally buying something from the One-Click ordering.
4. I told you this was a lame list. I can't find my pliers anywhere. I'm sure they are out there laying in the yard somewhere...but I can't find them. Or my wire cutters either.
5. I still need a GoPro. If I had one then I could do all kinds of neat stuff... especially if I had a drone.I could terrorize the chickens and send the goats running. *thinks about how cool that would be......*
6. Based on recent world events I'm pretty sure that it's not unreasonable to want this. Most of our emergency food is either canned or on the hoof. But if we ever had to 'bug out' then we'd need an alternative to stuffing about a dozen squawking meat chickens into the car with the dogs. Of course, if you start to talk about stuff like this then people think you are a nutter. But I'm just saying......I may have picked the wrong time to start watching this,and to have read this,and I should not have started this series,then all of a sudden a Faraday cage or bagjust doesnt seem like such a bad idea.
7. One day I'll tell you a hilarious story about why we need this. I'm pretty sure it was an alcohol related incident. Based on the shattered remains of the perpetrator's headlight - I'm pretty sure whoever slammed into our extra big mailbox got the shorter end of the stick. But we are still mad about our ruined mailbox.
8. Still holding out for that goose pot....probably not going to happen.
9. OK fine.. if really pressed for what I really want.... I could use a really nice camera. This is some kind of fancypantsy bundle with all kinds of stuff that I don't even know what they are.... but I could figure out how to use them. Probably. I should probably just stick with the crock pot.
So that is my lame wishlist. If you need gift ideas for yourself or someone else... I have a much more reasonable and not lame list of 20 things under $20 here. Or there is this list of ten things that make my life easier here.
Whatever you need I hope you'll consider starting your shopping by clicking on one of these links. If you do then I will get a tiny potion of the sale. One of the many reasons I love the Amazon is that they have affiliate programs like this that help micro-business owners like me make a little money by advertising products - like this list.
But don't worry - I only link to items that I actually have and use... or things that I really want. Aside from the small commission from Amazon I don't get anything else from providing these links. I can't be bought and so no one ever sends me stuff to review or promote.
So what do you think? Do you need anything Amazon? You can support this blog by just clicking one of these links. Or using the black Amazon search box on the right side of this page. It doesn't cost you once cent more but helps me with the "cost" of this blog. If you like this blog, or if I've helped you at all in your farming efforts, just make a purchase from Amazon from one of the links, my store, or the black Amazon search box on the right side of this page.
Happy Wednesday everyone! Quick! You still have time to shop! What are you buying?
The only thing I want on my wish list is some quiet time, with no building work going on, the house all in order and clean and tidy, and time to sew, knit, crochet, spin, and sleep. Just one day off would do!
My Christmas wish is for a little bit of land, not much just enough for a goat or two maybe a pig and my chickens. Since that won't happen this year I ask for a heat lamp for my soon to be acquired meat chickens, some wool to spin, and a couple bags of potting soil.
I asked for, and received, rolls of hardware cloth for my birthday! These will be used to make a grow out pen for quail in the spring. I've asked for a pair of geese every year for three years... perhaps this is my year. Probably not.
Also to comment on #6: I made a litle "bug out" bag for the car and hunting. Don't you know I've used it three times in three years? The best was when I wrecked my car (on ice) and then the battery died while waiting for a tow. In freezing weather. Gloves, thermal blanket, hot hands, granola bar, all waiting to be used. BEST GIFT IDEA EVER!
Cottontail.... wow about the car kit! and yeah we always drag extra clothes, boots, and snacks. the one time we needed it - also a car wreck - thank heavens we had it! hope you get your geese.....and a pot to cook them in.
Post a Comment