Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, December 31, 2015

Top 10 Posts of 2015

Last year I went and found out what my top posts were for that year... I thought it was kind of fun. So I thought I'd do it again.


I think we can all agree this is the best picture of Nicholas. Ever. 

As always, my top posts of all time are about butchering, growing out pigz, and how to bottle feed baby goats. You can find a list of them on the right side of this page. 

But specifically for 2015 the top posts are....

I had really had it with those goats. Someone shared this in a group on the facebook, I went over to say hi, and then I promptly got banned from that group. *shrugs*  But folks ask me about goats and I tell them the truth.

2. How to prepare for butchering pigs. And the worst thing that could happen.  
If you are going to tackle butchering larger animals you need to be prepared for the worst thing that could happen.

3. Not every body gets to stay. Goats. Gone.
Based on #1, I just couldn't take it one more minute. No regrets.

I gained some really terrific friends this year - one of them needed a little pep talk about how to make your way in this part of the world. 

5. The Good Land's Official Winter Drink: The Wind Chill Factor.
Apparently all y'all are a bunch of drunks. Also, probably because of the pinterest. It is a tasty drink!

6. Don't think this can't happen to you - West Wind Acres.
This horrifying account of what happens when you have bad neighbors.... and you think you are doing the right thing.  You do not need to let anyone on your property without a warrant. Find an Ag friendly attorney, get a gate, and be careful of letting folks look around.
The one time... the one stinkin' time I buy meat from the store and this happens. Never again. 

I'm sure this was completely unrelated to #1 on this list *cough cough*. But I got a fun new name and thru a lot of nimble twists and turns was able to find and keep all my 'the facebook' pals. Thank heavens that they have changed the policy surrounding this situation.  Hopefully this whole thing will settle down and my identity crisis has been resolved. Thank you for all your support.

9. Pigs, pigs, pigs, pigs....and what to feed them.
People just really want to know about raising. pigz. Can you raise pigz? Yes you can!

10. The End of The King. TurkZilla is dead. 
The stunning end to a worthy foe. Kai carrying his head still haunts me. My husband still blames me. And I am glad that turkey is gone. 

And because #9 is really a pig overview... the next one on the list is one of my favorites so is in the honorary 10.5 position:

It was a very very bad day. It ended in a veritable schnitzel fit. And I found out a lot of folks out there love us. Thank you for all your kind words.  

All in all, a lot of things happened here on the farm. The best things were our superduper good dog days... our worst were when our animal friends were in peril. But we all made it thru another year. 

Next year? Who knows what is going to happen. But we'll just keep on keepin' on. Thank you for letting me share our funny little life with you.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...