Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, July 16, 2015

Mud bog, cicadas, and a better day

I tried to work outside yesterday but it's one huge mud bog. While I appreciated the cooler weather we are never going to dry out at this rate. One of the weather sites said yesterday that the 30 day period from June 15 - July 15 was officially the wettest on record. Yay.

The water has no where to go and the ground can't take anymore so we have standing water everywhere. Of course, folks are hopping around about West Nile and all the mosquitoes. We haven't seen too many bugs but the frogs are enjoying the lake that is the front garden.

 I pulled up these stepping stones and water just filled in where they were. I need more gravel.

I tried to do some weeding - because heaven knows the weeds are growing really well - but I just ended up pulling up huge chunks of mud with the roots so it was not very effective. There was a lot of gravel shoveling.

I need to note that I started hearing the cicadas a couple days ago. The lore is that means there are 90 days until the first frost. We'll see if that checks out. There is always a point in the summer when you realize you just aren't going to get everything done Yesterday was that day. Summer can be wonderful and it can also be very very frustrating. 

I'm scrambling to try and get the fall veg going - I'll be working on getting a lot of cool weather plants like broccoli started from seed. We need to pivot our strategy and do the best we can.

 Gravel and smoothies. This is my life.

One of my favorite hipsters made me a smoothie the other day. With kale. It was terrific so I made one at home.  This one has kale, a little basil, a peach, and since we didn't have any yogurt.... ice cream. I think that's what made it good. Ha!

I've had the mud mopes pretty bad these last several weeks. I'm feeling like this summer is a big rip off and I got cheated out of glorious days and blue skies. The growing season is the best part about living here so without that I'm feeling a little down.

Just keep swimming.

But today I took the dogs out and it was a stunning 50* with nothing but clear blue skies promised. So here is to a better day today.

Happy Thursday everyone! Is the sun finally shining there?

ps THANKS to everyone to checked out the sales for Prime Day yesterday - hope you found some good bargains!


10 comments:

longtime wife said...

I understand the feeling of not being able to get all projects done. I am so sad about the garden I almost hate going out there. Now something is eating my beans. So sad.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

ugh. it has been so frustrating, LTW... boo!

PJ said...

I'd trade you some of this dry weather for a good rain storm. We haven't had rain for 30 days and none on the 10 day forecast. Sorry about your garden. So disappointing to put in all that work only to see it washed away.

David said...

chinup lady we can only control what we can control. mmm kale smoothie...

Ohiofarmgirl said...

PJ, i'm soooooo sorry for your hot and dry. do you have to worry about wildfires where you are? ugh. :-(

Thanks Dave, we are just gonna keep on swimming... we had a great morning and i'm going to soak up every second of the blue sky.
:-)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

PJ, i'm soooooo sorry for your hot and dry. do you have to worry about wildfires where you are? ugh. :-(

Thanks Dave, we are just gonna keep on swimming... we had a great morning and i'm going to soak up every second of the blue sky.
:-)

Vintage Maison said...

We're rainless too, in Limousin. Today, it was 41 degrees in our courtyard - the old stone yard walls seem to keep in the heat. I've looked on my thermometer and 41 centigrade is 103 degs F. It has clouded up - might have a storm, but it seems to be passing us by. Driving me bonkers. Please send us some of your rain!

PJ said...

Fires are a big concern right now around here. It's so dry. I am not used to so much sun.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

VintM, 103*!!!!!! wow.. i have a friend near Tours and they have also been telling of the extreme heat. and you've probably seen Vera here also - in the same boat as you. i WISH i could send some of this rain. stay cool!

PJ - that's what i thought. it's very scary to think about. the first year we lived here i was so relieved not to think about fire season...and then there was a forest fire in the national park near us. ha! luckily it doesnt happen a lot but ugh!

Vera said...

Crikey, it has been a tough year all round! And like you, we are getting tired of the weather, and it is also grinding us down. It has been a long summer, with not much done because of the heat, and nothing growing out on our fields to feed our animals.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...