Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Prime

I'm interrupting your regularly scheduled program of complaining about the rain and mud, dog pictures, and chicken hijinks to tell you about an exciting upcoming event!


Unless you've been living under a rock you know that Amazon is having a Prime Day on July 15th. This is a kind of 'Christmas in July' promotion that promises more deals than Black Friday. Prime members will have exclusive access to big deals and tons of sales.

Why? Who cares! It's a sale, man!

Actually I think it has to do with the company anniversary or something.

But the great news is that you can totally take advantage of the sale by signing up for the 30 day trail period of Primetoday. Is that cheating? Nope. It's a great way to check it out and then decide. The one day only sale is July 15th so give a click, sign up, and then see what the fuss is about.

If there is nothing you want to buy then hurry up and watch a bunch of movies online and then cancel the trial offer. No one will be mad at you. It's not cheating. It's a promo and that's how these things work.

The truth is, we nillynallied around about getting Primefor a long time. The $99 yearly fee felt like a big whack all at one time. As one of my pals said, "I wish they would make it a $9/month payment." Me too. But they aren't so we just worked it out.

What is Prime? It's a yearly subscription program that gets you tons of benefits on Amazon including thousands of movies and TV shows, special pricing, and best of all... free two day shipping on all Prime purchases. We loooooooooove the two day shipping. My delivery guy does not. But we've come to an understanding.

So what do we use Primefor? Mostly for watching movies and TV shows online. We don't have cable so we watch all our shows on our TV using the Amazon Fire TV box. We love it. It works perfectly and is a lot of fun. We can watch NetFlix using the Fire TV box also. Pretty much, except for the news, this is the only way we watch TV....and we found an app on the Fire TV so now we can watch the NBC Nightly News whenever we want.

But we also use it for shopping. For instance, I regularly buy a supplement for the dogs. It's kind of expensive and I can either drive a really long way or I can sit on my couch and click one button - two days later it's delivered to my gate by a slightly annoyed delivery guy. It's the easiest thing ever.

Unlike trying to get together $35 worth of purchases on Amazon for free shipping, there is no minimum purchase. You just need to order your "whatever" that has the Prime banner on it. Then it just magically shows up. It's like a dream.

To be sure, you have to use Prime for it to be "worth it." Since we watch a lot of shows we feel like that alone has already covered the cost of the membership.

But it works like this. For instance, we need some ice cream bowls. Now, I can put that on my regular shopping list, try and figure out when I'm going to drive all the way into town, and then try and remember to look around when I'm in town, and then buy....where I can decide between Walmart or that weird knock off shop. Not great options.

Or I can just search for what I want on Amazon using "Pyrex ice cream bowls" and then look and see what they have. Set of four, 10-Ounce Pyrex custard cups....? Yes. That is exactly what I want - for $11 with free shipping. Yes I will take those. *Clicks* See how easy?

For Prime day we'll be on the lookout for tools, fall planting seeds, canning supplies, and shoes. Yep. Shoes.  I can only wear one brand and one model of sneakers so I just use the manufacturer's model number and search on that to order from Amazon. My husband has freakishly large feet so it's hard to find his size in stores... but buying them online is a breeze.

If you buy the same stuff over and over again like we do, it's just so much easier to shop from your living room instead of wasting time driving around. I do not think that shopping is fun. Either we go to the same stores and see the same thing or I have to drive a really long way to different stores. It turns out to be a big ordeal and I'd rather just get it all done at one time.

What about you? What do you need? School supplies? Text books? Something for your Kindle? A new TV? Boots for winter? A new electrical fence charger? What are you driving around for?

Happy Almost-Prime-Day everyone! If you don't have Primethen check it out. The trial is FREE and you can cancel it at anytime (before the 30 days) and no one will care.


Editors note: Yes! There are affliate links on this page! Yes I am a shill for Amazon! Why? Because I love their systems and I love how easy it is to use. I'm supposed to tell you that I get a tiny portion of the sale when you click on one of the links, go to the Amazon page, and purchase something. It can be anything - a book, movies, or something you need from Amazon anyway.  Do you need anything Amazon? You can support this blog by just clicking one of these links. Or using the black Amazon search box on the right side of this page. It doesn't cost you once cent more but helps me with the "cost" of this blog. If you like this blog, or if I've helped you at all in your farming efforts, just make a purchase from Amazon from one of the links, my store, or the black Amazon search box on the right side of this page. Thanks!

1 comment:

longtime wife said...

I cant wait to see what will be on sale!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...