Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Let the Gardening Begin!

And now for something entirely self-indulgent... Gardening!  I can't wait for this:



One of my goals for this blog is to keep a gardening/farm journal.  Maybe you'll get some ideas also.

My garden notes for today:
* We've had two days over 45* ...and its nothing but mud soup out there.
* We completed the fencing for the upper garden; including the gates to keep the chickens out.
* Finished trimming and staking grape vines; and clean up
* Finished trimming fruit trees
* Planted some peas, radishes, and red kale; may not make it
* No sign of peonies or asparagus; some garlic has sprouted
* Mini-greenhouses (upside down plastic water bottles) over misc marigolds and the last broccoli standing; some swiss chard is left and hanging on

My farm notes for today:
* Tom turkeys are in a constant 'smack down'
* Turkey Momma is standing out there screaming non-stop; I think she is going to start laying
* No goose or duck eggs yet
* Still no new goats

Happy Spring!

4 comments:

Chai Chai said...

How in the world are you completing fencing? The snow may be melting here but the ground is still frozen. We can't begin planting until late late April (frost the last TWO years has taught us that lesson).

Mimi said...

Your garden looks pretty!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Wow - your area is so lush and green! I am in awe - and it makes me ache for spring.......

JMR said...

Could it be more gorgeous outside? The Husband is going to plotz if it doesn't dry up soon! Hope all is well - miss ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...