Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, March 8, 2010

Tiny pies.. its what for breakfast

I can't help it .... I love pie. When we got these little tiny pie (tart) pans from our Grandma we instantly fell in love with tiny pies. And its a great way to make your own snacks. The other day I was making a crust for the quiche anyway - so I just doubled the recipe and then when I had a few minutes these came together in about 10 minutes.



Here's how:

All fall we make and freeze applesauce from the free apples and pears we get from friend's trees and from ours. So I thawed one 2 cup serving of pear sauce, mixed in a little tapioca to thicken, a bit of brown sugar, and a splash of vanilla. The crumble topping was just oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, some chopped nuts - cut in butter.  It took the equivalent of 1 pie crust to line the 4 tart pans (plus I had enough for one top). I also made one with blackberry jam (the one in front). Fill pans, pop into oven at 375*...... 30-ish mins later... tiny pies. Electric for cooking not included... I think my cost of goods (flour, tapioca, spices, topping - fruit was free) was about $0.20 a piece.

Plus, how fun are tiny pies?

 
Tiny pies.. its what for breakfast

4 comments:

Dodi said...

These pies are so cute. I like the "rustic" look of them. Did your family like them?

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Oh yes.. there was a brawl for the last one! And part of the reason that I like pie for breakfast is because I get up first..hee hee hee The Big Man hasn't figured out that the early bird gets the best snacks!

CottonLady said...

Hi! I just found your blog yesterday and now today you are tempting me with yummy pies! I'm in West Texas now but grew up in Iowa. Love it up it up in that area just not used to the humidity anymore. I live on a cotton farm and just this spring I'm adding some farm animals-a couple of goat kids and some chicks for eggs.
Love your blog. CottonLady

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hey CottonLady! Come on in and sit a spell....and have a tiny pie. I saved you one.
;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...