Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Into Each Life A Little Rain...

I've heard it say that "into each life a little rain must fall" but this is ridiculous. We've had tremendous rains lately - a couple inches just this morning.

We've been battling water in our basement most of the day.... and the standing water in the yard looks like a swamp. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about it today without some heavy equipment. But I spent some of today digging a ditch to try and divert some of the water off the hill and away from the house.  Actually I used the truck in four wheel drive to make the ditch....and that worked.  Our next big project will be to rent a trencher and work on our drainage to keep it out of the house. The only upside will be that we'll be getting a huge truckload of gravel - which is one of my favorite things.

I'm posting at a little after 3:30 this morning - the storm pounded its way across Ohio and has left the area. The weather guys say that at least one tornado touched down and there were wind gusts at 102mph north of us. The odd thing about this storm was that the danger was right in the leading edge - usually the "hail core" (the scary part with rotation) is at the back of the storm. So it was upon us before we even knew it. Lucky is our weather dog - he lets us know when the first rumble of thunder or flash of lightening.

Thanks to our preparedness we just had to get up and watch the reports to see what happened.

Nicholas and his mad hunting skills

The only real event this early morning was that Nicholas caught a mouse in the kitchen. There was some screaming but that was about it. He was rewarded with some special treats for his hunting ability. And I'll never sleep in this house again. Good boy, Nicholas!

Happy Wednesday everyone and I hope it dry where you are!

7 comments:

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

Building an ark up here!

Mr. H. said...

Glad to hear that you managed the storm OK...of course all that water doesn't sound too great. Watch out for those mice!

JeffJustJeff said...

We were in the basement at 3AM with tornado sirens wailing. The two dogs and the parrot were looking at us like we were nuts. I have to say that I'll miss the nice clean basement and tornado sirens when we move to the country (one week from today YIPPEEEEE).

Just remember, April showers bring May flowers (and Mayflowers bring pilgrims).

Cheers,
Jeff

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Oh! do I remember flooded basements living in NJ :o(
Here I don't have one, I miss being able to save a lot of stuff...but you can't have everything.. At least you have a farm with chickens so count your blessings.

Chai Chai said...

No worries, the mice were probably just evacuating out of the flooded basement. Mice usually are loners.......

Hope the heavy rain doesn't damage the planting in the gardens.

Summersweet Farm said...

My gosh I'm so glad you're ok. A little rain in the basement is a small price to pay (though I'm sure it doesn't feel like that right now, my sympathies). But our yards probably look about the same!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

David, its STILL raining here...

Mr H - we are back in the thick of the stormin..

JJJ - wasnt that something? Of course we cant hear the sirens out here - we rely on the dogs.. who are darn good barometers. A parrot?!

Ginny - When I count my blessings I always count my chickens twice!

CC - yeah.. probably a loner...*snort* hee hee hee hee Nicholas is back in there waiting for one of his mice buddies to come out from behind the stove.

SSF - its a swamp out there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...