Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, April 11, 2011

Sunny Sunday - Pig Pile in the Hen Yard

Sunday was our first really sunny, really warm day - almost 80*!


Everyone was out and about. Especially the hens. Theses Buckeye gals were really going to town in the dirt.


For whatever reason they were all in a big heap in the hen yard - it was a pig pile in the dirt!

And they were all digging their way to China!

Dig, baby, dig!


They had a hoot and so did I - just watching them.


And you know.. I don't have a cow but apparently the dog thinks he's one...he's was out there grazing. That's my dog. Out standing in his field. Oh geez... This really is the funny farm.

Happy Monday everyone!

11 comments:

Autumn said...

Oh, geez. Hens are always funny when they take dust baths.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

I love watching chickens take dust baths. It always makes me smile. I love how yours are in a line - their Line Dusting :) Both of our pups have been grazing on new grass like crazy the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure why....

Robin said...

I think that you should change the name of your blog to "The Funny Farm"!!

Mr. H. said...

That's quite a heap of chickens you got there. When we first got chickens my wife noticed one of them taking a dust bath and ran into the house with the grandson telling me that we had an injured bird...I still laugh about that every time I see them bathing in the dust.:)

NancyDe said...

I love watching chickens take dust baths. Our last bit of dust disappeared under the onslaught of rain and mud....my girls will have to wait.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi Autumn! They set a new record for hilarity with this hen heap!

Line Dusting is right, B2B! If only I were tricky enough to set this to music we'd have a new fad on our hands!

Robin, I've been thinking it should be called The Maniacal Crazy Nuthouse Farm...

Mr H, reminds me of when I went running screaming HEN DOWN! WE HAVE A HEN DOWN! Oh golly....

NancyDe, we are about to get mud mud and more mud followed by even more mud on top of that!

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Too bad it is still muddy here!

Chai Chai said...

Those are great pictures of the chickens, if I went outside and saw that I would have thought that a mink had got loose in the coop. I can't believe you had 80*, I still have patches of snow in the woods.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

VGC - We're getting ours also.. but then it should clear up. Thank heavens! Does everyone know VGC who has the wonderful blog:
http://www.mysuburbanhomestead.com/

See how you can farm on a small acreage!

Hey CC! It scares me everytime...but I love all the digging and flippin' and floppin!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Which one of them is going into the pot? LOL I don't think you could eat one of them now..they all have become your pets :o)..

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi Ginny! Around here we say "when you crow, its time to go!" to the pot that is. But that big white roo is our "main man" so he stays. The rest of the ladies are laying like mad right now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...