Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Meat Peep Notes

Just an update on the meats we got two weeks ago ....and a few more peeps we got just last week.


Look how big the first ones are! That little grey one in the middle is one of the chicks that our duck hatched. The big creepy meats are doing great. We started with 10 in the first wave and had just one loss. We got 10 more creepy meats as the 2nd wave. And..... I also bought 2 Wyandottes.  They are hiding in the back but you can see the dark one along the back wall.

The first wave of creepy meats should be ready to um... come to dinner the first week of June. We bought two lots, two weeks apart on purpose - so that we don't have to dress them all at the same time.

A quick note on spring storms

I'm sure we are shocked at the damage in the southern states this past week. Looks like we are in for another round coming up in the next couple days. Lets all take a few minutes to review storm preparedness as we are moving into spring storm season. I'm going to spend some time making sure I have all the cat carriers are lined up downstairs and will be drilling the hard workin' farm dogs on getting the poultry rounded up.

Batten down the clucks if you're in the storm path! Happy Tuesday everyone!

14 comments:

Grandpa said...

We posted within 30 seconds of one another, according to Blogger - how about that?

(Mine is about how you can get free healthy food from the jungle).

They are so cute, I wonder why you call them 'creepy'...

Stay safe and away from the storm, ok?

Mr. H. said...

Cute chickens! We have been hearing about all of those storms on the news and hope you are safe. I'm off to read your link on storm preparedness, see you in June for chicken dinner...ha ha.:)

Carolyn said...

Those creepy (but oh so yummy) meat birds are eating (and poop'n) machines. We usually do 50 a year, but in the fall and we do them in a 3 week timeframe. Some are smaller than the others, but they taste great all the same.
Good luck on your future dinners!

Dmarie said...

besides the supplies in the pantry, my way of "prepping" is to fill the yard with fruits and veggies. Brought home apricot, peach and apple trees the other day, and Hubby planted them for me--between storms. The rains keep coming but here in Kentucky we're luckier than those further south. So FAR! thanks for the storm prep link!!

IanH said...

Our chicks are due May 6. Let's pray that the storms all miss you!

becky3086 said...

They may look cute in the picture but they really aren't. I do love mine though and can't wait to invite them to dinner. I have 3 batches.

Chai Chai said...

You are going to love the Wyandottes, I know I do.

My next big in home purchase is going to be a wood burning cooking stove, that will cover the loss of power and heat as well.

Summersweet Farm said...

I'm surprised your meats leave your little chicks alone, mine were SO aggressive! Makes it easier to off them I suppose. How'd you order just 10 at a time, do you have some special hatchery "in" that I don't know about?

Journey11 said...

They don't stay cute for long, huh! We just did up 16 CX yesterday. Yum Yum!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hey Grandpa - And now I'm posting 4 days behind! Yikes!

See you in June, Mr H!

Great work, Carolyn! We find the fall ones are a little easier to manage - and the weather is cool when its time for the "harvest."

You said it, Dmarie, I just got more fruit and nut trees!

Ian - can't wait to see how your chicks do. We'll compare notes.

They arent cute at all, Becky.. three batches! Great work!

CC - I would LOVE a cookstove! Been trying to figure out how to get one in the kitchen. We can cook on top of ours in the basement. Totally works but is just inconvenient.

SSF - they are getting big enough to be a problem so we will separate them out. I got 10 at a time at the local feed store - the minimum is just six chicks. Makes it so easy to stagger the batches.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Great work, Journey! You'll have some good eating for sure!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I don't have a basement! Wonder if I could change my Studio into a chicken house! Cecil would kill me. If I could think of a good lie to tell him maybe I could get away with it :o)

Jody said...

This is my first time on your blog. I like your "meats". We just picked up 25 Silver Cross. They are in our tiny shed until they get their permanent feathers. The catch is, we live in a neighborhood, not on a farm. We'll keep them in a mobile coop made of pvc pipe and chicken wire in the back yard. It has worked in the past (we've bought the neighbors off with meat), and we expect it to work this time too. Cudos to you for raising chickens! It's a lot of work.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Ginny - sure! but you'll be sending those stinky hens right outside in no time flat!

Thanks Jody! It looks like you've got your system down - great work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...