Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, April 25, 2011

Tree-lets and Apple Blooms

Happy Easter Candy Sale Day! Did everyone rush right out and scoop up the Easter candy that's half off? I sure did! If that doesn't make it a happy Monday I 'll tell you what does....


Apple blooms! This is one of the little trees in the front garden. I'll have to check later this afternoon but I'm pretty sure we have some dogwoods popping as well as the first of the lilacs.

Does everyone know that you can contact your county's Soil and Water Conservation folks for help with in managing your treed land, water drainage questions, and more? In our county they have a tree program - regular people can buy trees in bulk at a good price. This year I ordered 100 whites pines and a "nut tree" package.  I think it was about $60 for the whole thing.

We were so excited to run right down and get our trees! We wondered if we should bring the big truck with all those trees just waiting for us! So we nearly died laughing when they handed us all our trees... in a grocery sack.

What 25 trees looks like.

After we recovered from laughing ourselves sick we got to the business of planting them. Of course,  if you are over run with deer, goats, and dogs who ruin everything you'll need to put your "tree-lets" in a safe place. We decided to pot the nut trees up until they were weaned.. I mean, until they get a little bigger.  As for the bundles of White Pines, I "heeled in" three of them and in the next couple days I'll start digging them in along the property line.

Little nut trees potted up and waiting to be planted

The thing about trees is, don't put off getting them. Even if you don't know the best place to put them, or aren't sure if you'll need them - by the time you've figured it out its been five years and you could be enjoying some fresh fruit or the shade of a fine little tree. Remember my peach pit trees? They are huge now. So we'll get these little tree-lets started and we are one step forward.

Other places to find trees on sale are places like the local Big Lots or Dollar stores, end of season sales (we got some hot bargains last year) at your local nursery, and you'll be surprised what you can find if you check the clearance section at Lowes. The bargains you find might need some lovin'.... but we've overwintered trees here in pots without any problems.

So whatcha waiting for? Go and get some tree-lets and give them a good home!

Happy Monday everyone!

12 comments:

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Love your "tree-lets"!!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I cracked up with you after seeing the size of the trees:o) I thought to myself, Boy! she sure finds some bargains :o) and it was a good LOL :o)...but in the end by the time your my age you'll be enjoying every last one of them..and I've tried that peach pit thingy many times without results..so there's a blessing for you already :o)

JeffJustJeff said...

LOL, I had almost the same experience. I ordered trees from the Franklin County SWCD. I had no idea what to expect, so I had a coworker follow me to help. I didn't even need help to carry them to the car.... I got over 40 trees. I got the fruit and nut packet(hickory, norther pecan, paw paws, persimmons and some others), riparian packet for around the pond, bird packet (has lots of berries the birds can eat and we can too :-) ), elderberry bushes, river birches, and pussy willows. I put them in a big container with dirt loosely packed around the roots until we move in, WHICH IS THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. I'm not excited or anything.

I found out we have 5 apple trees. Do you do anything special? I've read about the 'bag around the apple' method. I also read about buying those footies you use to try on shoes and putting them around the apple to keep the worms out.

I don't know if you saw my post, but I broke down and bought some chicks from my new favorite store, TSC. I only got 8 to start. I ordered a bunch more from the mill, along with ducks and guineas. I'll pick up the Royal Palm turkeys this week too.

Cheers,
Jeff

Chai Chai said...

We have gotten the 25 tree package before and were equally shocked as you, naming them treelettes is very appropriate.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi WCG! They were so puny....like they had been taken away from their mother too soon.

Ginny - we laughed a LOT. The poor people at the SWC office.. they nearly didnt know what to do with us. Oh well... We'll be "nutty" in no time I'm sure.

JJJ - holy cow! its so soon! can you hardly stand it!?! And nope we dont do anything with our apple trees. Cant wait to see the turkeys! I'll check out your blog so I can see all the goings on.

CC - we laughed our butts off... it was hilarious. Oh well...

small farm girl said...

Here in Ky, they give away those white pines trees. The county extention agent wants people to plant them, so they are all free. Along with red buds and dogwoods. Oh that reminds me, I have 100 to plant myself. lol

Grandpa said...

Those are really beautiful flowers. I meant to try and plant some apples cutting to see if they grow over here...

The plants will keep you busy...

Happy Tuesday pal, and have a good week ahead.

NancyDe said...

I remember doing that from our Dept. of Land and Natural Resources: we ordered 200 trees and went down to pick them up with the trailer - they fit in a small box that didn't even take up a whole seat in the truck. They're huge now!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

SFG - I wish they'd have a giveaway here. We have tons of 'scrub' pines on the property but they are just a tangled mess. When you're out there digging, think of me doing the same!

Thanks Grandpa, there's always something to keep me busy.

NancyDe - isn't it hilarious? Last nite I walked one of the goats past my 'holding bucket' for the treelets and she tried to eat them all! Aghgh!

IanH said...

Methinks that you had better give those nut trees some support so that the nuts don't bend them over. ;-}

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Ian, I'm gonna laugh myself silly if I get ONE nut and my little tree falls over. Just like Charlie Brown's little chrismas trees! ha!

Summersweet Farm said...

Oh wow, thanks for the tip on the soil & water folks! I'll definitely look them up! We use white pines as our Christmas trees, too, so I've been thinking about planting our own little tree farm. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...