Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Two Goat Cheese-n-chive Scones - the best thing I've made lately

What a great use for what we've got....a TWO goat cheese-n-chive savory scone. They are the best thing I've made lately and you've got to try them. 

Feta and fresh goat cheese-n-chive scones - they are what's for breakfast!

Doesn't everyone love Farmgirl Fare? She has great recipes including these fantastic scones. The great thing about making these scones was that I used fresh goat cheese instead of butter (what you'd normally use) or cream cheese (as she suggested in her recipe). This really plays to our "use whatcha got" strategy. I think my cost of goods for this batch of scones was ....the price of the flour, spices, and baking powder so...not even $0.25? Everything else we had on hand or in the yard.

I altered the ingredients list from the original, this is what I used:

2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled  - I used the feta cheese I made from our goat milk the other day
4 ounces fresh goat cheese - from what I started the other day and showed you here
A handful of fresh herbs - mostly chives and parsley
A big, fat grinding of black pepper

1 cup goat milk - actually it was about half a cup of cream and the rest whole goat milk
1 large duck egg (thanks Miss Duck!)

I almost didn't use the cream-n-egg glaze..but I was really glad I made the extra effort. They turned out beautifully.

You can see the cheesy goodness and how beautiful the fresh herbs look.

I thought What Katie Ate might be proud of my food styling! Ha! Did any of you farm friends chuckle a little at her interview - that she said sometimes she got up at 7 IN THE MORNING to start working on the recipes? Hee hee hee hee. That poor girl. I won't call her when the sun comes up before 5 and I'm out there working. (And to my pal L who does hair beautifully in Seattle - yes, that's five in the morning! Can you believe people get up that early! On purpose!)

Anyway

We had these scones warm from the oven with more goat cheese but the best way to eat them is.... lightly toasted with chevre and a slice of ham as an open faced sandwich. Delicious!

And now a few cheese notes....

* I started another round of feta and its in the fridge now. I noticed that some of the chunks were a little mushy. So I added a bit of vinegar to one of the jars to see if the increased acidity will help it stay together better. Hopefully the cheese will age better this way. The first feta turned out great.
* The mold is growing on the blue cheese! Honestly, I'm a little afraid of it. I'll check it later.
* No tell tale white mold on the french neufchatel - yet. 
* Started another fresh chevre yesterday. Debbie milked about a gallon again - yay Debs!

And now if you will excuse me - I need to go and wax my cheese. The gouda that is - its done aging in the wine fridge (a weekish at 50*) and will be waxed and then will return to the wine fridge for a couple months.  I hope it will turn out like this again.

That's the news here - have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

5 comments:

Grandpa said...

Oh my...those scones look appetizing and mouth-watering indeed!

Mary said...

I love making cheese. It's like a science experiment everytime. Have not been brave enough to try the harder cheeses. I have made string cheese for the kids and they love it.

God Bless

Mr. H. said...

What can I say other than...mmmmmmmm...yummy.:) Saw the Macy's Stars of Dance last night...they were pretty darn good.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Crapo! I nearly went through the screen when I did a close up of that scone! Boy did it look rich and delicioussssss...I needed to be there for breakfast, made my country ham and grits look sick :o)

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

Never had a savory scone. Those sound yummy! We've been enjoying fruit and nutty ones though as my wife searches for the Ultimate Scone Recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...