Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Whats bloomin' now!

What a bloomin' day!
 Lilacs - can't you just smell them? Wonderful!

For new folks and the curious, I use this blog as my record keeping and one of the things we track is when stuff blooms for our beez. So I took a stroll around today and this is what I saw...

 Blueberries - I can't wait to make a pie for my favorite blueberry kid!

Grapes, one day there will be wine.. oh yes...


Dogwoods....


Dog tails... in the high grass. Actually that's the winter rye I planted. If we ever get some dry days I'll mow it down and till it under. Then 2 to 3 weeks later it will be ready for planting in beans! I managed to get in a few packets of sunflowers but with as wet as it is....its kind of a chance. However I spied some volunteer sunflowers so I figure that nature knows what she is doing.


More apple blossoms.. these are from a Grimes Golden tree. Do you know it? Spectacular apples for cooking. They are yellow and can have a bit of a blush. We just love them.


...and some spices. I can't wait until the lavender blooms. This little cluster of spices is planted near one of the bee hives. We'll be all a-buzz later and I hope it will be a honey of a summer! Or a summer of honey!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

7 comments:

Mr. H. said...

Can't wait to see the lilacs blooming here. I planted a gazillian of them along our property line a couple years ago. Grimes is now on my list, perhaps I will run across that variety at the nursery this fall when all the trees go on sale. No blooms here though...it's snowing out again this morning:(

Mary said...

You must be farther south of us. None of our stuff is blooming at all like yours. We are still feeding the bees because there is not a whole lot blooming yet. Dandelions mostly.

Have a great day.

Grandpa said...

Wow, look at those blooms! Quite a garden you have there. Still can't get over how pretty those apple flowers are...glorious days ahead!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

I would love to plant a gazillian of them, Mr. H! Did you take cuttings or find a deal to purchase them? Snow!?!? For heavens sakes.

Mary - yep we are south of Columbus. My northern ohio pals are singin' the blues from lack of blooms. But at least you have dandelions!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I love dandelion greens and I have an old recipe for wine from the flowers from my old Aunt Fannie..it would make your head swim :o)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

There ARE glorious days ahead, Grandpa.. just as soon as this rain stops! I'm so excited to see if I get apples this year.

Ginny, your Aunt Fannie sounds like my kinda gal!

Summersweet Farm said...

What! How did you go from snow and mud to all this gloriousness? My lilacs are done (all 2 flowers of them) but my grapes aren't flowering yet. My clover is just barely starting up.

Lilacs are one of my faaaaaavorite flowers. Now that we've cut down some trees, I'll have to see about planting some where they might actually bloom.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...