Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, November 12, 2012

Pear Upside Down Cake

I've really been gettin' my bake on lately....and this was fabulous, Pear Upside Down Cake.


This is one of those great recipes that I only make once or twice a year....so much sugar and butter... but its worth it. Actually this is a "wow" dessert if you are going fancy. And its easy. I think I found this recipe originally in Sunset Magazine - but that's back when I was still speaking with them. I kept the recipe and ditched the subscription. I found this recipe which is close to the one I taped in my cookbook. The best part? The liberal use of molasses and buttermilk which makes this a rich dense cake waiting to be served warm and swimming in a pool of cream.


Start with an easy peasy caramel sauce in a heavy skillet. I used my braiser because I love it so much. Then slice some pears and decoratively arrange in the pan. Or just flop them in there.
 

The batter is a cinch to make... I love the molasses and buttermilk which makes this really moist. No one makes better sorghum than one of our Amish neighbors. I got this half pint at their farm stand.


Spread the batter in the pan on top of the pears and caramel.

Then bake. Easy!  Except.... there is danger involved. Not as much as "Danger Pie" because this isn't as gooey as that... but you might want to have everyone stand back. Invert the cake onto your biggest platter and voila! Isn't that stunning? I only had to scoop out a couple pear slices that stuck to the pan.


And yes. Just in case you are wondering.... this is a breakfast food. Served warm and swimming in a bowl of cream.

Happy Monday everyone! Don't you love fall baking?  I'm starting the day right.... with a big ol' bowl of Pear Upside Down Cake!


1 comment:

David said...

This looks like the perfect end to a sumptious meal. Or the perfect start to the day!22istraosa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...