Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Sunday, February 20, 2011

Coffee. Cake. Coffee Cake!

One of the best things about Germany is that its an entire nation devoted to the idea that coffee and cake is an inalienable right that should be enjoyed everyday. I love coffee. I love cake...Kaffee und Kuchen suits me just fine.


You should enjoy it too. I found this recipe in the latest Martha Stewart magazine - normally not farmy enough for me but the subscription was a gift. And she makes cake. See page 80 of the March 2011 edition. I finally found it re-written out online here if you don't take the magazine.

I modified the Cheese and Sour Cherry version shown in the side bar and used our blackberry jam. And there was no cheese involved, just jam. I thought the drizzle was too much so I left it out. Of course I used lard (not butter) the first time I made this...and butter shaken in a jar the second time. I liked the lard better - as I do for all pastries.

This is the perfect kind of thing to make when you are doing something else because there are a couple separate steps and two rises invoked. A KitchenAid is a great tool to make this easy peasy. I make the dough when I was skyping with my pal, Eliza, and just let it knead for 10 minutes. However, Eliza made me laugh as I reached over to turn off the mixer, and I accidentally shoved it to 'full speed' instead of 'off'...and the whole thing nearly went flying off the counter.

Anyway.


As yeast breads go, this couldn't be easier. I rolled it out and spread it with blackberry jam made last summer, sprinkled on some brown sugar and cinnamon (I don't sugar my jams), twisted it up and shaped it into a "U" or pretzel-y shape, sprinkled on the crumb topping, went and did something else for the final rise, and baked in a moderate oven for about 50 minutes, covered with foil, lowered the oven temp to about 315*, and baked for another 15 minutes.

Unfortunately the first picture (above) didn't show the twisted-up berry filling....and it didn't last long enough to get a better picture. Neither did the next one I made. Yikes!

Speaking of, my stove top espresso maker is done now.. so if you will excuse me, I got some Kaffee und Kuchen coming my way.
Happy Sunday!

10 comments:

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

That not only looks good, also a good recipe keeper, thanks for the post...

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

That coffee cake looks yummy even without the filling showing. And it sounds like the recipe is pretty flexible. Too bad I'm on a post-V-day diet!

Chai Chai said...

Mmmm....A road trip may be in order. Did you use your own preserves?

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi Ginny! I imagine you could use a no/low sugar jam to help with your blood sugar. And then have a slice only after you've had some protein.
;-)

Come on now, Villager... diet smiet..we'll all be workin' it off as soon as the weather warms! I'll save you a piece for when you are ready.

hey CC! Yep used our own jam. Come on in - I'll get a plate ready for ya!

Summersweet Farm said...

Oh ho ho ho that looks soooooo goooood... I'm definitely going to go look that up. Not that my "sweets to try" bookmark folder isn't fat enough already!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Its so good, SSW! And so many possibilities... its a great foundation recipe to be used for other things. And so easy!

Anonymous said...

That looks delish! I need to try making blackberry jam this summer, that looks like a great way to use it.
savingdogs

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hey SD - this cake is the business. And you can use just about anything for a filling - including chocolate!

suburban farm girl said...

Yum this looks delicious! I might make this today (day off from that place called work) Husband would be MOST appreciative! I have a giant Martha Stewart cookbook and I find her recipes always work out.
As for the jam making it is so satisfying!
We have a giant Mulberry tree that is incredibly prolific during Spring. Think 4L icecream bucket everyday and that's just what I can be bothered picking!
We are currently on our last jar of Mulberry/Lemon jam from last Spring (its Autumn now). Its SO GOOD! I do put a little sugar in mine-not as much as recipes state but I always use raw organic sugar so at least I get some sort of comfort in eating the sugar lol

Ohiofarmgirl said...

SubFG, Mulberry/Lemon jam??? WOW! great work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...