Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Killer...I mean... silly gooses

I have to tell you, friends, I love our geese. Really. They are absolutely hilarious, especially today. I don't know what it is about these big goofy birds. I'd have a whole field of them if I could.

Here are a few happy snaps of our feathered friends...

 
The Meeps in the morning sun. Remember when they were so little and cute?  DB (the grey Toulouse) and Little G (the white Embden/Roman Tufted) were the two goslings hatched too late to be accepted by our main flock. They were raised in our front garden and now reside with the goats during the day.

DB and Little G square off with OD and the rest of the main gaggle in their daily rumble at the fence line.  Mostly its just a big honking mess.

But OD, my arch nemesis, caught sight of me and tried to give me the business. Frustrated with having such short little legs and no ability to fly...

...he tried coming thru the fence at me. But his rage was denied and I lived to mock him for another day.


So they all just stood there and gave me funny looks...

...really, really funny looks.  Like I was completely out of my mind. Then they just shuffled away. I love those geese.

Any body else got crazy waterfowl?

8 comments:

Mama Mess said...

I gotta say I like those specklededy ones!

Grandpa said...

When I was a kid my foster father had at least a dozen of geese - I'm not sure if they were the same type though, the necks were longer I think. Anyway I remember the huge eggs and them making loud trumpet noise and chasing people.

Yours look like they're waiting for you to give them some direction, or play some games with them OFG...:)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

We used to. Ducks and a guard goose. I did not find the goose as amusing as you did and wasn't too broken up when a visitor's dog chased the birds and they took shelter at the lake, never to return.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

thanks GW! i love the speckley ones also. one is a goose and one is a gander.

There is a lot of loud noises, Grandpa! And a certain amount of chasing an adorable little puppy around.

Oh come one, Kristen! Who wouldnt want about 100 of them! hee hee hee I think I love OD because he is so ornery.

Mr. H. said...

As a very young child I was chased to the bus stop every so often by a nasty gander and his gaggle. Luckily I was faster than they were.:)

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

When I see pictures of healthy looking geese like yours I suddenly get the urge to Roast somethng amd add a nice cornbread dressing..:o)

Jenny Glen said...

I LOVE geese! When I lived in California I had an African goose and thought she was great. I had to give her away when I moved to Canada. I got another one when I was at an auction up here but he was kinda mixed up. He was about 8 months old and wouldn't swim with the duck I had. He imprinted on the sheep. This was before we had a guardian dog and unfortunately for him, when the coyotes slipped in to take a lamb one night, they got him too because he wouldn't go in the pond to get away from them. We have two guardian dogs now and they have not had much bird socializing so I'm afraid to get another one.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Run, Mr. H! Run! We've had people run from the geese... its kinda funny. hee hee hee

Hi Ginny! I love cornbread stuffing and a roast goose is a beautiful thing.

hi Jenny! i just love their funny walks and noises. and they are great parents - working as a team to protect the little ones.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...