Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, February 11, 2011

Cut Rounds from Edwardian Farm

Does everyone remember when Ruth made those spectacular "cut rounds" for their tourist day on Edwardian Farm? I was so intrigued by the whole thing I just had to figure out how to make them.

My version of cut rounds right out of the oven. And yes those are cookies in the background. 
Don't hate me because I'm carby.

I found a couple websites that featured real Devon style scones and from what I could tell they are pretty much like a sweet biscuit.  Then I really struck gold when I found this exact recipe from the chef that was on the show.  The only problem is...

... I'm a victim of "new math" and I can't convert metrics to standard measurements. But I do know what a scone is and I've made biscuits plenty of times (but I'm guessing Ginny at Gingerbreads House would put us all to shame on that one!).

So while I can't tell you the measurements, I used all the ingredients listed...

...including buttermilk from making butter in a jar, that butter, and a splendid double yolker.  I also learned that one cup "self raising flour" in UK recipes can be substituted with one cup all purpose four plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  I cut the butter into the dry ingredients, mixed in the eggs and buttermilk, then rolled them out. Baked in a hot oven for about 12 minutes.


I think they came out pretty good. I'm having them for breakfast with our home made blackberry and honey jam.

Happy Friday everyone!

13 comments:

CallieK said...

Ooooh I wanted to try those too! I checked out the recipe thinking I could translate the metric to imperial but it's in weight measures, not volumetric which is beyond my mathlete abilities.

Will you be making Devon clotted cream to go with them? Thanks for the link!

Jennifer said...

They look delicious!
I was excited to see them on Edwardian Farm, as it seems they are the same thing my grandmother makes. We call them "tea biscuits", and she has always cut them out using an overturned glass. I should really get her recipe!

Lori said...

Those look yum!! Good job on "faking" your way through it lol

Just FYI - you can google "online metric conversion" and either use the online calculator (easier to me) or print a chart.

Stay warm!

Heiko said...

Ooh I love a Devonshire scone! But it isn't complete without proper clotted cream and strawberry jam... Hmmm!!!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

The scones look pretty easy and delicious...send me your email and I'll send you some conversion charts..

Unknown said...

Those are some beautiful carbs my friend ;) I just mastered regular biscuits a couple weeks ago.
OK, this is too funny - the word verify thingy says 'suckle on' That is so weird. LOLOL.
-Java

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

Lovely, great resourcefulness (sp?) they make me hungry!

Mr. H. said...

We finally started watching the Edwardian videos...I was so excited when I saw that it was the same cast of characters that were in the Victorian farm series...how neat.:)

Diana said...

Ooooh aaaahhh!

Yes I do remember when Ruth made them. Everyone was just amazed at how amazingly delicious they were and I was like "Dude, those are SO buttermilk biscuits!" :D

Summersweet Farm said...

Er, so I accidentally just posted under my Google account name but I meant to post under Summersweet Farm.... just so's you know it's me. :)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

hi Callie! I am thinking of giving the clotted cream a try. I'll letcha know how it goes.

Jennifer, yes! Please get and post your grandmothers tea biscuits. I love heritage recipes.

Thanks Lori, I still got all discombobulated.. so winging it was good for me.

hello Heiko! I'm drying for real strawberries! This year there will be jam, of yes, there will.
Thanks Ginny!

Java, thats just silly.. hee hee hee.

Hi David! Hum.. what are you cooking today.. I'll pop by later.

Dont you just LOVE that series, Mr. H? I was completely sucked in. Let me know what you think.

Hee hee, summersweat! Ha! I knew it was you!
;-)

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California.

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You, ~Ron

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi Old Geezer! And welcome - stop on by any time
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...