Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, July 9, 2013

First Storm Casualty

After last year's drought I swore that I would not complain about the rain ever again. So this isn't a complaint - it's just a point of fact.


We got our first storm casualty. One of my young peach trees broke under the weight of the peaches and the rain.


Drat.

These are the compost peach trees that just grew where I threw out the pits a couple summers ago. They grew like the wind. But apparently the wind was just too much for one of them last nite. This tallest one just snapped.

Drat.

On the upside..... doesn't look like I'll have to turn on the sprinkler anytime soon.

Anyone else not complaining about the rain? Might as well sing about it... Songs About Rain.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Ok, are we the ONLY ones NOT getting rain? We had a good spring with rains enough for a decent haying, but now not a single drop for weeks!! Gawd, I hope this isn't the FOURTH year in a row for a drought.

Carolyn said...

Oh, and did your compost/volunteer peach tree put out decent fruit? I'm so sick of "experts" telling me I just can't stick a pit in the ground and let it grow. I should have been putting "throw away" peach pits in the earth for like five years now.

Wildcard said...

Can you save any of the fruit?

David said...

Drat is right! I would be unhappy to lose a loaded fruit tree.

anton said...

I'm so sorry. I don't know what else to say. You know it and I know it, it's all part of the deal when you sign up to grow/produce your own. I guess that's what makes homegrown peaches that much sweeter. On the upside, if the tree hasn't snapped all the way through it may still be able to live enough to ripen the peaches before you cut it off . . . it might be worth a try?

Ohiofarmgirl said...

yep, Carolyn, i think its just you. sheesh we have had plenty. i need to take off another cutting of alfalfa but cant even think about it. and yeah i KNOW! these peaches look stunning. i'm kinda tired of everyone telling us what wont work.

hi Wildcard! i dont know - i'm going to give it the old college try.

i'm pretty sick over it, Dave. ugh!

thanks Anton, i know you understand. i'll see if that little tree can hold on. we are sooo close to ripening i hope it holds out.

CB said...

No, it's not just Carolyn. We got a 3" rain about 3 weeks ago. Before that, we got 2"....in AUGUST.

David said...

uh, i wonder of it could be fermented???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...