Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, July 18, 2013

Soon.

I'm so glad I didn't go and cut those peach branches for the goats. The tree is still going strong!

Soon.

Even the busted branches are still green and alive - and heavy with fruit. Soon I'll have a ton of peaches all grown right here in my yard - these were my compost peaches.

I talked to an orchardman and he said the tree would be fine and to trim it very hard next winter. Even the one that broke in half will be OK and probably better because it will have a root system for a tree twice its size!

Just look at them!

So I'm just waiting for these little beauties to be ripe. Then it will be nothing but peaches for every meal! I'm definitely making more of this! There will also be a lot of pie.

This little tree is totally hanging on!

Gotta go - the hot weather continues and the forecast for today is "Fire Swamp" conditions. My only goal is to keep everyone alive. Heat index will be over 100* for today and tomorrow. Looks like we'll get some relief - and some rain - on Saturday.

Keep cool everyone! Do you have any ripe fruit yet?


10 comments:

Rachel said...

Aren't plants amazing? Enjoy that fruit!

Heavens Door Acres said...

Wow, I am SO envious of those peaches! I just can't seem to get my fruit trees to do anything. Either mold, bugs, heat, too cold...or the "fruit gods" just don't like me. Those look beautiful!

Vanessa said...

I am so jealous of your tree, when we eventually move I want room for fruit trees. I am tired of having to buy peaches by the box for canning. How old is your tree?

Vera said...

We did have some ripe fruit but it is now made into jam. No plums this year, just a few apples. But they are young trees, so when I am about 100 years of age they should be in their prime and making tons of fruit!

Anton said...

Phew! I'm so relieved you're going to get an amazing harvest.

David said...

So how old is that tree? Peach jelly, peach wine, peach puree, peach pie, peach cobbler, canned peaches, peach butter... I feel like Bubba!

Big Onion said...

Not ripe, but that pear branch that fell had 30 lbs of hard pears. We cored them, put them through the grinder, and pressed 2 gallons of juice of out of them. I had 4 lbs of wildflower honey in the cupboard, so I boiled it with some water, added 1.1 lbs of sugar, added the pear juice, and topped it off to six gallons. Added some crushed fresh figs, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Just last night pitched some champagne yeast, and if my numbers are right it should finish out to a 7-8% ABV light honey/pear beverage. We'll see in a few weeks. :)

I freakin' love growing fruit! Hope you got some fermenty plans for those peaches!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

You know what I love about plants, Rachel, they will do anything to keep on living. I think its a great thing.

hey HDA, i'm hoping to have a good haul!

hi Vanessa - i think its only 3 or 4 years old! can you believe it?

100 years.... sounds about right, Vera. ;-)

Thanks Anton, I was really unhappy for a while but now I'm glad its working out!

thats Mr. Gump to you, Dave.
;-)

Anthony, I loved reading about this - THANKS! i need to take a whack at home brewing.

Big Onion said...

Let me know if I can help at all. Been homebrewing off and on for about 7 years. Took a break from beers to do some "other" stuff but since we got the farm with all the fruit trees I've been doing a lot of wines and beers (and beer-like things, like this!) ... I'm not a pro, but I can point you in the right direction!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

super, Anthony! i follow up with you.
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...