Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, July 23, 2010

And then we had scones.....

I had to apologize to the company we had visiting for being to "carb-y"... but a bad combination of heat, recovering from the sickness (thanks, civilization), and now dealing with "the cure being worse than the sickness" (thanks, prescription drugs)..its all left me a little whoozy and the only thing I want to eat are baked goods. So when I had a few minutes and a bowl of leftover blackberries from the crisp lookin' at me... well, what else could I do but bust these out:
Best scones ever. 

My recipe notebook says these are from Martha Stewart in 2003... thanks, Mar! Original recipe was for blueberry scones, but I just used the fresh blackberries and left out the lemon.

Perfect scones
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 3 Tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling tops
    * 1 Tablespoon baking powder
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt
    * 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, I used my cheese grater to shred
    * 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over and rinsed
    * 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    * 1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing tops
    * 2 large eggs, lightly beaten ** I used duck eggs

Heat oven to 400*

Sift together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter and gently stir in berries (and zest). Turn out on a clean work surface (I have a marble top table).

Mix together cream and eggs in a liquid measuring cup. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, pour in cream mixture, and use a fork to incorporate...then use a pastry scraper to mix just until it comes together. But don't squish the berries.

Pat dough into a 6-inch square and cut into 4 squares, then cut on the diagonal so you have 8 scones.

Brush with cream, then sprinkle with sugar and bake at 400* for about 20 - 22 minutes.

We had these with butter I made by shaking cream in a jar. Fabulous.

After chores we had a scramble with eggs, the first cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, and fresh herbs. We waved good bye and were so glad to have such good company.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...