Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, June 20, 2013

Goosling

I knew something was going on yesterday when the geese didn't come storming out of their coop. They were also silent as church mice for most of the day. Initially I thought that Cindy was quitting her nest because I didn't think her eggs were good....but then I checked and this is what I found....

What a sweet baby face!

I love baby geese. Of all the baby poultry they are my favorite. They immediately emerge from their shells with a lampshade on their head and from then on they are the life of the party. They are hilarious. Everything is amazing to them and they take every opportunity to run around making little meeping noises. They drive their parents crazy - which makes it even funnier.

Let's zoom in a little....

We think there were 3 little hatchlings last nite. I couldn't see anymore this morning but it's still early. We'll see what happens today - hopefully something very cute.

And yes, spelling nazis...stop your twitching and no, you do not need to send me an email.  I know it's "gosling" but if you search on that you get some actor named Ryan and he just is not as cute as baby geese at all.

Happy Thursday everyone! Do you have something cute happening there? The SuperBad moon is happening later this week - if you have anyone due to hatch, kid, or lamb it could be soon!


5 comments:

Heavens Door Acres said...

The rockstars of any farm...are the wee ones. They really know how to break up the hard day. Be it animal...or human...I can sit and watch them discover life all day. Congrats on the goose babies!! :)

Carolyn said...

Who could NOT love those flappy little feet!!

And yeah, I'm really sick of people asking me if I was going to name ours "Ryan". At first I was like, "Hugh?", then someone told me, then I did an internet search. Not impressed.

anton said...

Cute! I'm sad to have one 1 hatch this year, what a bummer. It's great to see I'm not the only farm whose geese decided to hatch babies so late in the spring. I guess they had a goose pow-wow about when to hatch babies this year without us knowing.

Rae said...

I luuuuuurve goslings. Hands down, my favorite baby animals ever. Better than puppies. Way better than kittens. Feathered poultry-puppies. Love!

I didn't get any goslings this year, so puleeeze post more pics when you get some. :)

David said...

So these went to hatch.l. Of course me and thinking with my stomach - are goose eggs delicious?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...